Wednesday, December 31, 2014

5 Things I learned in 2014

Hey there!
So it's the last day of the year, and I figured if any year deserved a little send-off post, it was this one.

I don't actually know where to start. I kind of expected this year to be like any other, but I've learned so much and grown so much through it--

*pushes away sentimental jibberish*

Anyway, I wanted to share five things I learned in 2014.

1. Friends come when you least expect them. 


                 Ah, the buddies I've made this year. To be honest, I didn't expect to make any new friends this year. I loved the ones I had. (Still love you guys more than you could know. You mean the world to me.) 
But I met a few more people in real life who actually wanted to be my buddy... and several online.
Stop that. 
Stop laughing. 
Actually, since my online buddies are gonna read this, thank you. You know who you are, and you make each day a little brighter. *stops before sentimental jibberish comes back*

2. Work ethic is important-- and appreciated.

At my job, and even in my college classes, I realized that having a work ethic is NOT a common trait. I wish it was. But I'm learning that actually working hard stands out. And I hope that it stands out for Christ, not me. Because honestly, He's the reason I work hard, and if anyone should be recognized for it, it should be Him. 

3. Being a grown up means giving some things up.

Oh dear. I'm terrified of this one. I don't want to grow up for this reason. I want to do everything, help everyone. 
But that's not real life. This next semester I'm going to be overloaded between work and college classes. Not to mention the stuff I must do at home. So I have been planning ahead. I'm only going to work on TRC during the semester. Gifted can wait. Spectrum(my summer project for '15) can wait.
I'm also going to cut my internet time down to certain parts of the day. I can't afford to lose time. 
But you know, that's okay. That's life. And I'm gonna hold on to the most important things.
Which brings me to my next point.

4. I want to be a writer.
It may not be my career, but I want to write. I want to build worlds, to make stories, to bring characters to life. I want my voice to go out as the written word.
I want to write for God, and I want to write because I love it. 
I feel like I've found my niche though. I have a voice now, a way to minister to people, a way to encourage and uplift and maybe even convict. I'm not going to let that go.

5. God's in control; I don't need to know everything.

I have spent many, many hours this year stressing over college applications, schoolwork, Subway work--- everything.
And I'm coming to the realization that I really can't know everything. 
But best of all, I don't need to. God's got a plan for me. So yeah, I need to do my best, but for now I'm going to try and follow Him every day, and let Him take care of the big picture. And the relief that trust has brought me already is enormous. I live for Him in the moment, and He'll guide my steps in the right direction.

So there's a few thank you's I want to give out, even though I can't possibly name everyone that has touched my life this year.

First of all I want to thank my college teachers. I've learned a lot this year because of them.

I also want to thank my parents. I could write a whole flowery thing about them, but it wouldn't do justice. If it weren't for you guys, I would most definitely not be who I am today. You've taught me more than I'll ever realize and supported me through all my crazy hobbies and phases and college applications and maniacal laughing and crying and... *sentimental jibberish I TOLD you to LEAVE*

I also want to thank my Internet buddies. You guys inspire me. You make me laugh. You confuse me until I just look at the screen like: "what the heck did I get myself into?"
And I wouldn't trade you guys for anything.

I want to thank my Blog readers, whether this one or the BJU online blog. You guys have been more than awesome. 

I want to thank my real life friends. You guys have been there for me, put up with my craziness, shared your thoughts and struggles with me, and really just supported me. You guys came into my life when I felt like I would never have real friends. And you proved me wrong. Very, very wrong.
*oh my goodness I'm actually crying right now*
You are my family, too. I only hope that I can be as good a friend to you as you have been to me. 



*deep breath*
I have a big year ahead of me. I'm going to graduate! I'm going to keep writing! For all I know, I might be flying of to University or moving to go to a Junior College next fall. 

So am I scared of the future?
Heck, yes. 
Am I going to shy away from it?
Not a chance.

2015, bring it on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment